Banana and prune energy bites can be made in minutes. No scales are needed and no cooking is involved, simply mix the ingredients, leave to rest, then shape and pop in the fridge to chill. The ingredients for these energy bites are plant based and so can be enjoyed by vegans too. The quantities in the recipe below will make around 14 energy bites.
- 5 tablespoons oats
- 4 tablespoons prunes
- 1 medium sized banana
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Equipment needed to make banana and prune energy bites
- Large baking bowl
- Small bowl to mash the banana
- Chopping board
- Plate or board for the finished energy bites
How to make banana and prune energy bites
Chop the prunes into small pieces, approximately 0.5 cm to 1 cm across.
Mash the banana in a small bowl using a fork.
Place the oats and chopped prunes in a large baking bowl.
Add the mashed banana, flax seeds, chocolate chips and vanilla essence, ie, the remainder of the ingredients, and mix together. Set aside for about 15 to 20 minutes or so to allow the ingredients to adhere.
Take a heaped teaspoon of the mixture and form into a ball using your hands. Place on a plate. Repeat until the remainder of the mixture is used up.
Cover the energy bites and place in the fridge for around a couple of hours.
- Don't worry if the mixture looks as though it will not stick together. The mixture will hold together after it has been set aside for a short time.
- The energy bites should be covered and stored in the fridge and will keep for around 2 to 3 days.
- The energy bites make an ideal snack while out and about.
- Keep a supply of energy bites in the fridge as a healthy alternative to biscuits or cake.
- Banana and prune energy bites are perfect for kids' lunchboxes (just tell them they are banana and chocolate chip energy bites!).
- If you prefer an energy snack which is a little sweeter, try adding some chopped dried dates or apricots.
You may also wish to try blueberry and coconut energy bars. They are made with honey and so are great for vegetarians but not vegans. These are also no bake bars and are great for when out and about or as an alternative to cakes or biscuits.
Or why not try peanut and honey energy bars? These are also made with honey so are vegetarian but not vegan. They are packed with energy and tasty too!
Banana and prune energy bites
- 5 tablespoon oats
- 4 tablespoon prunes
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Chop the prunes into small pieces (approx 0.5cm to 1cm).
- Place the oats and chopped prunes in a large bowl.
- Mash the banana in a small bowl using a fork.
- Add the mashed banana, flax seeds, chocolate chips and vanilla essence to the oats and prunes and mix.
- Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the ingredients to adhere.
- Take a teaspoon of the mixture, form into a ball and place on a plate.
- Repeat with the remainder of the mixture.
- Cover and place in the fridge for about a couple of hours and then your energy bites will be ready to enjoy.