Tropical fruit energy snacks are not only for when you are out hiking or cycling, they make a great alternative to biscuits and cake to enjoy at home. These no bake energy balls can be prepared in minutes and and will keep in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days. The recipe below will make approximately 10 to 15 energy balls depending on size.
- 1 large banana
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 4 tablespoons chopped dried papaya
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried dates
- 5 tablespoons oats
- 1 dessert spoon runny honey
- Approximately 2 tablespoons grated or desiccated coconut, sufficient to coat the energy bites
Equipment needed to make tropical fruit energy snacks
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Large bowl
- Several tablespoons
- Dessert spoon
- Pastry board/work surface
- Plate or tray for the prepared energy bites
How to make tropical fruit energy snacks
Chop the papaya and dates.
Mash the banana in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in the flax seeds and mix. Add the chopped papaya and chopped dates and mix together.
Measure the oats and honey and add to the other ingredients and mix together. Set aside for around 20 minutes to allow the ingredients to bind together.
Take a spoonful of the mixture and form into a ball using your hands. I suggest aiming for a size somewhere between a teaspoon and a dessert spoon. Make sure the mixture is very well compacted so that it will hold together. Roll the ball in the coconut until it is completely coated. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
Place the prepared energy bites on a plate or tray in the fridge and leave to set for around 2 hours.
- Store the energy bites in the fridge until they are needed. They will keep for around 4 to 5 days.
- Before measuring the honey, heat the spoon in hot water or in the flame of a gas ring so that the honey slides easily from the spoon.
- Try substituting other dried fruits to create your own version.
You may also like to try blueberry and coconut energy bars, which are fruity and tasty too.
Or why not try banana and prune energy bites which do not contain honey so can be enjoyed by vegans too.