Make these chocolate dates with crystallised ginger for family or friends. They make a perfect homemade edible gift for occasions such as birthdays, Mothers' Day or Christmas and can be prepared in no time at all. They are also great for offering to guests or simply to enjoy yourself. These chocolate dates are similar to homemade chocolate rum truffles and chocolate and banana truffles in that they are easy to make and no baking is required. The quantities in the recipe below can easily be increased or decreased to make the quantity you require.
Ingredients for chocolate dates with crystallised ginger
- 20 pitted dates
- About 3 or 4 pieces of crystallised ginger
- 140g dark chocolate minimum 70% cocoa content (suitable for melting)
- 75g white chocolate (suitable for melting)
- Chopping board
- Small sharp knife to slice open the dates and cut the ginger
- Two bowls suitable to melt the chocolate in the microwave
- Two cocktail sticks
- Icing bag to decorate (optional)
- Large flexible board or other suitable board to place the chocolate dates on
How to make chocolate dates with crystallised ginger
Start by cutting 20 slithers of crystallised ginger, about the thickness of a matchstick and slightly shorter than the dates.
Cut a slit in the side of each date and place one slither of ginger inside each date.
Melt the dark chocolate. The easiest way to do this is by breaking into pieces and placing in a bowl in the microwave, set at half power, for bursts of 30 seconds at a time. Stir to make sure all the chocolate has melted and if there are any solid pieces of chocolate place in the microwave again until it is completely melted. This process may seem slow but reduces the risk of the chocolate overheating or burning.
Dip each stuffed date, one at a time, in the melted chocolate. You may find it easier to hold each date with a couple of cocktail sticks. Turn the dates around in the chocolate to make sure they are completely covered with chocolate. Hold the dates with the cocktail sticks above the bowl of chocolate to allow any excess chocolate to drain from the dates. Place the chocolate dates onto a board and place in the fridge to set.
When the chocolate on the dates has set, melt the white chocolate and decorate the chocolate dates with stripes or squiggles or or any other decoration of your choice.
- If you don't have a microwave the chocolate can be melted in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water, but be careful not to splash any water onto the chocolate as this will affect its properties.
- If your dates have stones, form a slit in each date and carefully remove the stones. The same slit can be used to insert the crystallised ginger.
- The chocolate dates can be stored at room temperature so long as it is not too warm. In hot weather it is a good idea to keep them in the fridge.
- Why not try other toppings instead of white chocolate such as chopped nuts or course sea salt?
Chocolate dates with crystallised ginger
- Chopping board
- 1 Small sharp knife
- 2 bowls suitable for the microwave
- 2 cocktail sticks
- Icing bag (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon
- Large flexible board
- 20 pitted dates
- 4 cubes crystallised ginger
- 140 g dark chocolate
- 75 g white chocolate
- Cut 20 slithers of crystallised ginger about the thickness of a matchstick and slightly shorter than a date.
- Cut a slit in the side of each date and place a slither of ginger inside.
- Melt the dark chocolate in a microwave on half power at bursts of 30 seconds at a time.
- Hold a date with two cocktail sticks, dip in melted dark chocolate and place on a flexible board. Repeat with the remaining dates and then place in the fridge to set.
- Melt the white chocolate and decorate the chocolate covered dates with stripes or squiggles or any other decoration of your choice and leave to set.