Camembert and cherry tomato galette is an attractive rustic galette filled with vegetables and Camembert inside a wholemeal pastry shell. It can be prepared in advance but once cooked it should be served immediately. If you are looking for fresh ideas for vegetarian tarts and pastries you may also like to try baked filo parcel with Camembert or courgette and feta tart.
- 27cm diameter (approximately) pastry circle (made with 230g wholemeal flour, 115g butter and sufficient water to bind)
- A handful of button mushrooms
- Half a small leek
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 125g Camembert
- A handful of rocket
- Dash of olive oil
- 1 egg to glaze the pastry
How to make Camembert and cherry tomato galette
Place the wholemeal flour and butter in a food processor and pulse. Add sufficient water to bind the pastry and plus again. Roll out on a lightly floured pastry board and cut a circle about 27cm diameter. Chill until ready to use.
Slice the mushrooms and leeks, cut the cherry tomatoes in half (leaving 2 or 3 to one side to add to the top before baking) and place in an oven proof dish. Drizzle over a little olive oil and cook in a hot oven until they just start to soften.
Place the pastry circle on a metal baking sheet or in a loose bottomed flan dish. Position the mushrooms, leeks and cherry tomatoes in the centre of the circle, leaving a margin of around 3cm around the edge.
Slice the Camembert, cut into small pieces and place on top of the mushrooms, tomatoes and leek. Spinkle the rocket leaves over the top.
Start to fold in the edge of the pastry (about 3 cm), a little at a time, incorporating pleats to take in the excess pastry. Repeat until the the entire edge has been folded in. Add water to any folds if needed to help the pastry stick together. Add a few more cherry halves.
Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and bake in the centre of the oven at 180oC, 350oF, gas mark 4 until the pastry looks golden and the cheese has melted. This should take around 20 to 30 minutes. For an Aga, bake on the grid shelf on the floor of the roasting oven until cooked.
You may wish to try Swiss chard with almonds and raisins which makes a tasty accompaniment to the galette.
Camembert and cherry tomato galette
For the pastry
- 230 g wholemeal flour
- 115 g butter
- 1 egg to glaze
For the filling
- 1 handful button mushrooms
- ½ leek
- 1 handful cherry tomatoes
- 125 g Camembert
- 1 handful rocket
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
To make the pastry shell
- Place the flour and butter in a food processor and pulse.
- Add water a little at a time, just enough to bind the pastry together, and pulse again.
- Roll out on a lightly floured pastry board and cut a 27cm (approx) diameter circle.
To make the filling and assemble the galette
- Slice the mushrooms and leeks, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and roast in a little olive oil until soft.
- Place the pastry circle on a metal baking sheet.
- Position the mushrooms, leeks and tomatoes in the centre of a circle leaving a margin of about 3cm around the edge.
- Slice the Camembert and cut into pieces and place on top of the vegetables. Add the rocket to the top of the cheese.
- Fold the pastry inwards a little at a time, forming pleats to take in the excess pastry, using water to stick the pastry where it folds. Place a few halved tomatoes on the top.
- Brush the pastry with beaten egg.
- Bake in the centre of the oven at 180°C, 350°C, gas mark 4 for about 20 to 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.