Orange and spice rock cakes couldn't be any easier to make. Simple weigh the ingredients, mix together and bake! And as this recipe can be prepared using only one bowl it generates very little washing up which has got to be a hit! The quantities below will make around 25 rock cakes.
- 450g plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 200g butter (at room temperature)
- 100g Demerara sugar
- Additional Demerara sugar to sprinkle on top of the rock cakes before baking
- 150g raisins or mixed dried fruit
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 eggs
- 3 - 4 tablespoons milk.
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
Equipment needed to make orange and spice rock cakes
- Large baking bowl
- Kitchen scales
- Electric mixer
- Wooden spoon
- Sieve for the flour
- Zester or grater for the orange zest
- Tablespoon for the milk
- Dessert spoon to form the rock cakes
- Metal baking sheet
- Non-stick baking parchment
- Spatula to lift the baked rock cakes
- Wire cooling rack
How to make orange and spice rock cakes
Before starting, remove the butter from the fridge to let it reach room temperature and soften.
Sieve 450g plain flour into a large baking bowl and add 4 teaspoons baking powder.
Cut the softened (but not melted) butter (200g butter) into small pieces and add to the bowl of flour. Rub in using your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Add 100g Demerara sugar, 150g raisins (or dried mixed fruit), the mixed spice, zest of two oranges and two eggs and mix using an electric mixer. The mixture will be very stiff and crumbly at this stage.
Add around 3 to 4 tablespoons of milk and mix together to combine to form a single mass of dough, it may be easier to use a wooden spoon as this stage.
Take a dessert spoon of the mixture at a time and form a rough shape and place on a non-stick baking parchment on a metal baking tray. Continue with the rest of the mixture until the tray is full leaving a space between each rock cake. Sprinkle a little Demerara sugar on the rock cakes before baking.
You are likely to need to bake the rock cakes in two to three batches, depending on the size of baking sheet and the size of your oven.
Bake at 200oC, 400oF, gas mark 6 until they start to turn golden, this is likely to take around 10 to 12 minutes. Turn the tray around part way through the baking time.
Leave the baked rock cakes on the baking sheet for around 5 to 10 minutes and then carefully transfer to a wire cooling rack using a spatula.
- Take the butter out of the fridge ahead of starting to make the rock cakes to allow it to soften so that it is easier to mix with the other ingredients. Alternatively, use the appropriate setting on a microwave, taking care to only soften the butter, but not melt it.
- Jars of mixed spice which are readily available in the UK are perfect for this recipe. In the US, pumpkin spice could be used. If you are unable to obtain mixed spice then a mixture of other sweet spices could be used such as cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and nutmeg.
- I find that orange and spice rock cakes are at their best on the day they are baked. I recommend that any which aren't going to be eaten on the first day are frozen and defrosted when needed so that they can be enjoyed at their best.
- This recipe is perfect for making in bulk and freezing to ensure a steady supply over the days ahead.
You may also like to try tangy lemon drizzle cake, an easy to make moist and sticky lemon cake.