Pilau rice seasoning is a blend of aromatic spices used to prepare pilau rice, a popular side dish served alongside many Indian dishes.
If your spices are already ground your spice mix will be ready within minutes. If not, any whole spices should first be ground using a pestle and mortar or a spice grinder.
You can easily adjust the quantities to prepare the amount of seasoning you require. This spice mix is perfect for making in bulk to store along with your other herbs, spices and seasonings.
The quantities in the pilau rice reasoning recipe are sufficient to make 4.5 teaspoons of seasoning which is sufficient to prepare around 275g pilau rice (roughly 4 servings).
To prepare this spice mix you will need:
- 1 tsp turmeric - this adds an earthy flavour and gives pilau rice its distinctive yellow colour.
- ½ tsp coriander - ground.
- 1 teaspoon cumin - ground.
- 1 teaspoon fennel - ground. This adds a sweet fragrance to the seasoning.
- ½ teaspoon cloves - ground. These will add a warm, aromatic fragrance to your spice blend.
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamon - remove and discard the husks and grind the seeds.
- About 7.5 cm length of cinnamon stick - this is used whole when cooking pilau rice and then removed before serving.
How to prepare
Grind the cloves.
Remove the husks from the cardamon pods and discard. Grind the seeds.
Measure and place all the ground spices in a bowl and mix.
Transfer to a clean airtight jar with a tight fitting lid.
How to store
Store in a clean jar with a tight fitting lid in a dry place and away from direct sunlight.
How to use pilau rice seasoning
- Combine with garlic, onion and basmati rice to make pilau rice to serve alongside your favourite Indian dishes such as cauliflower and chick pea curry, lentil dahl or vegetable samosas.
- Use your spice blend to season vegetables such as potato wedges or spicy cauliflower.
- Add to rice to make a tasty filling for stuffed vegetables such as stuffed peppers.
Other condiments and seasonings
Pilau rice seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamon
- 7½ cm cinnamon stick
- Grind the cloves.
- Remove the husks from the cardamon pods and discard. Grind the seeds.
- Measure and place all the ground spices in a bowl and mix.
- Transfer to a clean jar with a tight fitting lid to store.