Broad bean risotto is a simple one pan vegetarian risotto which is perfect for busy days and midweek meals. This risotto recipe can easily be adapted to use whatever ingredients you have, although I have tried various risotto ingredients over the years, and this recipe remains my favourite. For a vegan version, substitute vegan cheese or simply leave out the cheese altogether.
- 1 red onion
- 2 slices butternut squash (125g approx)
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 150g broad beans, fresh, frozen or tinned
- 75g garden peas
- 120g Arborio risotto rice
- Dash of olive oil
- Vegetable stock
- Grated Parmesan
How to make broad bean risotto
Chop the onion and dice the butternut squash. Soften the onion and butternut squash in the olive oil.
Add the rice and sufficient vegetable stock (or white wine) to cover, and stir. Add the sweetcorn (including any liquid from the tin), broad beans and peas and a little more vegetable stock/wine, and stir. Continue to stir until the rice is cooked, adding small amounts of vegetable stock/wine as necessary (avoid adding too much liquid at a time). This should take around 30 minutes.
Stir in some grated Parmesan just before serving. Serve immediately.
- The risotto can be served on its own but I find that green salad and cooked beetroot make perfect accompaniments to this dish.
- The quantities listed in the ingredients above are simply a guide and can be varied. Also, try adding or substituting other ingredients such as mushrooms, peppers, broccoli or asparagus.
- Extra mature Cheddar cheese can be used in place of Parmesan if you prefer.
- White wine can be used in place of around half the quantity of vegetable stock.
- If you wish to make a vegan risotto simply use a vegan cheese or omit the cheese altogether.
You may also like to try broccoli and blue cheese risotto, another easy to make one pan rice dish.
Broad bean risotto
- 1 red onion
- 125 g butternut squash
- 1 tin sweetcorn
- 150 g broad beans
- 75 g garden peas
- 120 g Arborio risotto rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600 ml vegetable stock approx
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- Chop the onion and dice the butternut squash.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and then cook the onion and butternut squash for a few minutes.
- Add the rice and sufficient vegetable stock to cover, and stir.
- Add the sweetcorn, broad beans and peas and a little more vegetable stock and stir.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring regularly, until the rice is cooked (around 30 minutes), adding more stock if needed.
- Stir in some Parmesan just before serving.
- Serve immediately.