When you serve mushrooms with blue cheese and quinoa no one would believe you had prepared this dish in just a few minutes. In fact it can probably be prepared in less time than it takes the kettle to boil. It is perfect for days when you wish to serve something a little different but don't have much time. The melted blue cheese perfectly complements the flavour of the cooked mushrooms and the quinoa provides a variation from more commonly used breadcrumbs.
- 6 medium sized button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons cooked quinoa (a mixture of red and white quinoa)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, such as Stilton
Equipment needed to prepare mushrooms with blue cheese and quinoa
- Ovenproof serving bowl
- Sharp knife
How to prepare mushrooms with blue cheese and quinoa
Peel the mushrooms and place in an ovenproof serving bowl with the stalks upwards. Place the mushrooms in the oven for a few minutes to heat through but only partially cook.
Spoon the cooked quinoa over the mushrooms making sure that some of the quinoa is piled on top of the mushrooms. Here I have used a mixture of red and white quinoa simply because I prefer the appearance of the two colours, but either white or red quinoa could be used on their own.
Crumble the blue cheese over the mushrooms and quinoa, again, making sure that some of the cheese is piled on the mushrooms. If you are preparing the mushrooms to cook at a later time, they can be covered at this stage and stored in the fridge. Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature before cooking.
Cook in the centre of the oven at 200oC, 400oF, gas mark 6 until the cheese has melted. This should take around 10 minutes or so.
- When cooking quinoa it is a good idea to cook extra so that some can be stored in the freezer ready to b e used in a recipe such as this or to add to salads, etc.
- Here I have used button mushrooms but the same idea works perfectly well with larger Portobello mushrooms.
- This dish should be served immediately after cooking and is not suitable for reheating.
- The quantities above are sufficient for approximately 2 servings for a side dish, but can easily be adjusted to make more or less as required.